I finally got around to typing up a how-to, THEN search the GoE site and find other references to the same breakbeam kit......
But, I'm still going to post my initial hack setup for this kit.
The kit was easy to assemble, I had both boards soldered up in no time, I also left out the buzzer component, and was going to use this for the relay mount location - using the 12v supply for the relay coil and mounting a 2-pin header to make connecting to a prop controller nice and easy.
Trying to rush through this hack at my desk at work, realized I didn't have my pin vice to drill out the holes, or the ground-down screwdriver blade I normally use to 'modify' PB traces. But, not caring how neat it looked (ie - 'beta'), my Leatherman knife blade managed to 'drill' out new mounting holes for a 12v relay and a 2-pin header.
Checking the buzzer's PB terminals with a multi-meter, my kit appeared to have just shy of 12v (11.89v, I believe it was) across the terminals when powered with a 9-volt battery. I found some extra 12v relays from some other unfinished projects that I could use, and after figuring out what I wanted to modify for the relay's traces, I chipped, scratched, and hacked away the unwanted copper (hey, this 'was' called a Hack for a reason...lol) from the underside of the board.
I attached jumpers from the header pins to my picaxe trigger, and got that perfect relay 'click' each hand wave that broke the beam..... Success !!
The other 3 kits will get a little neater work done on the relay mount & trace modifying.
Simple project, the kits cost me $7.90 ea at 'you-do-it-electronics' (just happens to be a stone's throw from my office), 12v relays should be around a buck or two. The kits are working up to just under 3' apart, but that is under a florescent light wash in the office. I also still have to come up with a mount to get it protected from weather (project box or hunk of 2" or 2 1/2" PVC, etc). But definitely worth the $ and small amount of labor to get out from under the PIR dark shadow.
Maybe we should let Velleman know that they need to add a relay option, great hack, put a tube over the sensor and led to add some range. Ray
We made 7 last year and had limited results they were fairly good in 2 foot wide hallways but they failed in the 4 foot hallways. They are also a little touchy to impact sensitive I droped one reciever and it died I also lost one to a patron really hitting a wall. We will be using pressure matts and actor ops this year.